We carry with us our 5 senses – touch, taste, smell, hearing and sight – everywhere, but we often register those sensations unconsciously. By making use of these tools in a more conscious, deliberate way we can become aware, accepting and mindful of the external world. This particular exercise is so effective because we can only see, smell, touch, taste and hear in the present moment – which is precisely what mindfulness is trying to get is more in tune with. Give this example of our audio mindfulness exercises a try by hitting play on the mp3 below.
Mindfulness of the external world mp3
These are exercises in noticing what is around us:
- Sight: Look around you and name as you look at 5 different objects (variation: 5 blue/black/green objects), then do the same for 4 of those 5 objects, 3 of those 5 objects, etc.
- Sight & Touch: Look at, name and touch 5 different objects, noticing their texture, temperature, mass and weight as you do so. Then do the same for 4 of those objects, 3 of those objects, etc.
- Sight, Touch and Smell/Taste: Look at (in a garden or a kitchen), name, taste and smell 5 different objects, noticing their colours, texture, taste and aroma. Then do the same for 4 of those objects, 3, 2, and 1.
- Hearing: Close your eyes and listen for 5 different sounds. Then 4, 3, 2, and 1.
Other Exercises on the External World
- Mindfulness on washing the dishes.
- Mindfulness on walking.
- Mindfulness on sitting in the garden.
- Mindfulness on driving a car through traffic.
- Notice physical sensations through the body – sights, smells, sounds, tastes, touch/sensations.
Please feel free to download the MP3 for your own personal use.
Exercise 2: Mindfulness of the External World
Other audio mindfulness exercises
- 1. Introduction to mindfulness
- 2. Mindfulness of the external world
- 3. Eating mindfulness
- 4. Walking mindfulness
- 5. Breathing mindfulness
- 6. Body scan
- 7. External world and breath
- 8. Mindfulness of thoughts
- 9. Thoughts sensations and emotions
- 10. Self compassion mindfulness
- 11. Mountain meditation
- 12. Alternate nostril breathing
- 13. Mindfulness of physical discomfort
- 14. Mindfulness of difficult thoughts
- 15. Empty bowl meditation
Get the mobile version
The audio mindfulness exercises are one of the features available in the free Living Well App for iPhone and Android. Be mindful anywhere, anytime.
Comment by Keerthi
Keerthi November 26, 2015 at 10:06 pm
the tools provided are very helpful, clear and precise.
it helps one to go through the mindfulness exercises to develop one’s self.
thanks for the info.
Comment by Thaniel
Thaniel December 24, 2016 at 1:25 am
Is there a way for me to download the entire chapter of the mindfulness excercises at once in one PDF file?
Comment by Jess [Living Well Staff]
Jess [Living Well Staff] January 11, 2017 at 10:29 am
Sorry no, we don’t have that functionality.
Comment by Gabriella
Gabriella October 31, 2017 at 2:22 am
I never realized how “mindful” I really am. I have been doing these mindfulness exercises my whole life. I feel that being an artist and art teacher I am very mindful of my surroundings, sounds, textures, smells and how I react.